Thursday, January 1, 2009

Obituary

The Obituary of John Wesley Gunter, Sr.

Died at his residence in Chatham county, N.C. on the morning of the 6th of Dropsy (heart disease), John W. Gunter, aged about 57 years.
A father in Israel has fallen. A good man has exchanged this world of sin and sorrow for one of peace and quietude. For more than 28 years the deceased has been a member of the M.E. Church, and for more than 20 years a Class Leader. He served his Master with all his might, constantly exercising an influence for good, upon all with whom he was associated; and showing by his actions that he not only attended to the form, but enjoyed the life and power of Godliness.
The writer saw him once during his last illness, and such perfect resignation to the will of God, and humble trust in his promises is rarely to be met with under such trying circumstance.
It was indeed Christ for him to live,but an eternal gain to die. That religion which he professed to have in health,did not forsake him when affficiton came,or when the monster death was grappling with his life. He died as one of old,with Jesus in his arms, and with Heaven and immortal glory in his view.
So calmly did he approach the Jordon of death, that he selected the text and
hymn that should be used on his funeral occasion, which beautifully portrays his feelings and trust even in a dying hour. The text is in the 4th chapter of 2nd Timothy, "For I am now ready to be offered and the time of my departure is at hand; I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course. I have kept the faith; Henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness which the Lord, the righteous Judge shall give me at that day and not me only, but unto all them also that love his appearing."
The hymn is; And am I born to die, To lay this body down.
May the wife imitate the example of her husband and live only to reflect the image of our Savior. May his children bear the mantle of their glorified father , May his class mates so Iive as to meet their leader in the skies, and may we all profit by example of this holy man, and be more faithful in the future to the grace given that we may die as he did, in sight of Heaven and join him in praising our Redeemer throughout the countless ages of eternity.
"Let me die the death of the righteous and let my last end be like his"

BFG

No comments:

Post a Comment